Caloveto was founded around the 9th century and it has thus a long history. The village lies along the ridge of several hills forming the spur of the Sila Grande, on the right side of the valley where the Trionto river runs. It was probably founded by a group of Acoemetae monks who dug caves in the rock and used them as a monastery for the worship of Saint Giovanni Calibita, as a church and to supply water to the people who gradually settled there. With time, around the monastery dedicated to the saint, a farmer community began to develop, thus originating the first settlement of Caloveto. The Greek rite monastery was later Latinized by the Benedictine monks. In 1003 A.D., Saint Bartholomew of Rossano, aged 12 at the time, stayed there to improve the monastic discipline and study religious texts. The monastery continued to prosper under the Normans and the town developed passing from a feudal family to another. Caloveto was the property of the following families: Ruffo di Montalto, Guindazzo, in 1471, Cavaniglia, in 1480, D’Aragona, from 1570 to 1593, Mandatoriccio, from 1593 to 1696, and lately Sambiase, the princes of Campana, from 1696 to 1806. It was included in the Canton of Cirò by the 1799 administrative regulation; in 1807 it was classified as Luogo and included in the Cariati government. Under the law dated 1811 it became a Municipality and was included in the Cropalati district. In 1928, it was included among the hamlets of Cropalati and became an independent Municipality in 1934.