The Castle of Squillace dominates the town from the highest point of the hill . It was built by the Normans in the second half of the 11th Century, at the end of the campaign of conquest of Calabria made by the Byzantines who occupied the region, and in general southern Italy, for over five centuries. Squillace during the Norman era is the administrative, political and religious centre on the Ionic coast. It’s here that Ruggero d’Altavilla gives to San Bruno from Cologne the land where it will be later built the Carthusian Monastery of Serra San Bruno. The Norman period is definitely the most important for Squillace, living a moment of great political, administrative, economic and religious fervor. The beginning of the 13th Century is crucial for the story of Squillace because for the first time the settlement was given as a fief to a count and at the presence of a castellanus. Under Frederick the 2nd, which most probably wanted the construction of the polygonal tower on the east side of the fence, the castrum Squillacii is held by a castellanus non habens terram and ten servientes. Since 1256 the castle was consigned to several families: Lancia, Monfort, Del Balzo and Marzano until 1485, when the castle went back to the direct control of Frederick of Aragon, the future king of Naples. In 1494, the castle passed by marriage to the Borgia family, whose marble emblem dominates the main portal. The marriage establishes the alliance between Pope Alexander Borgia the 6th and King Alfonso of Aragon the 2nd: in fact the wedding is between Goffredo Borgia, brother of the more famous Lucrezia, only 13 years old and Sancha of Aragon, natural daughter of the king. The Borgia family will hold the castle until 1729, when for lack of heirs, will be again under the royal supremacy. Downgraded to a march, Squillace in 1755 went under the De Gregorio family, who owned the castle until 1783, when a violent earthquake devastated and destroyed the whole village.