Inaugurated on May 26, 2008 in a wing of the “Teatro Comunale Francesco Cilea”, the Civic Art Gallery brings together the most prestigious artworks of the city of Reggio Calabria between the 15th and the 20th centuries.
Initially exhibited within the Civic Museum, following the increase in collections and the damage caused by various earthquakes, it was necessary to find a new stable location for these works. From 1915 onwards various projects have been carried out to give a permanent home to the museum. But only in May 2008 was inaugurated the current seat of the Pinacoteca Civica of Reggio Calabria, on the first floor of the Municipal Theater.
Inside are exposed the collections of the former Civic Museum enriched by state-owned works such as Mattia Preti's "Return of the Prodigal Son". On display are famous works by Antonello da Messina, as "San Girolamo penitente", and Luca Giordano. But also those of Lavagna Fieschi and Enrico Salfi, Jerace, Rodriguez, Covelli and of the Reggio artists Cannizzaro and Benassai. In the section dedicated to the ‘900 there is also a painting of Renato Guttuso dedicated to swordfish fishermen.